Campaigning for the Protection and Promotion of Human Rights, Democracy, the Rule of Law and International Justice
Ban FGM Campaign: The Belgian Senate hosts the launch of an Appeal calling for a Resolution by the United Nations General Assembly in 2012
The International NGO Coalition for a worldwide ban on female genital mutilation launched today, during an event hosted at the Senate of Belgium, an appeal to the United Nations for a Resolution that explicitly bans female genital mutilation worldwide and calls on all States to take all necessary legislative, political and operational measures aimed at ending the practice.
The event was held under the auspices of the Presidence of the Belgian Senate and with the presence of H.E. Mrs Chantal Compaoré, First Lady of Burkina Faso, Goodwill Ambassador of the Inter-African Committee on Traditional Practices and Coordinator of the International Ban FGM Campaign.
Isabelle Durant, Vice-President of the European Parliament, Emma Bonino, Vice-President of the Italian Senate, Gisèle Mandaila, Member of the Brussels Regional Parliament, Fatoumata Sidibé, Member of the Brussels Regional Parliament, Céline Van Neyverseel for Emir Kir, Minister of Social Action and Family COCOF, Ivan Hermans, Senior Policy and External Relations Advisor UNFPA, Mariam Lamizana, President of the Inter-African Committee on Traditional Practices, Khady Koïta, President of La Palabre, and Els Leye, International Centre for Reproductive Health, and other prominent personalities who have been involved in efforts both in Belgium and internationally to bring an end to FGM were also among the speakers.
This Launch follows a series of events organized by the BanFGM Coalition in African capitals as well as at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, and aims to involve Belgian and European political actors in support of the African initiative for a Resolution. A video marking highlights of the Campaign will be previewed.
- Video by Agence Belga
- Pétition pour une résolution de l'ONU interdisant les mutilations génitales féminines, RTL / Belga, 3 Mai 2012
- Pétition contre les mutilations génitales féminines, RTBF / Belga, 3 May 2012
- ONU : une pétition pour une résolution interdisant l’excision, Le Vif L'Express / Belga, 3 Mai 2012
- Mutilazioni genitali femminili, campagna per una Risoluzione Onu entro il 2012, EU News, 3 maggio 2012
- Lancement d’une campagne internationale pour l’interdiction des MGF, jeudi à Bruxelles, Agence de Presse Sénégalaise (APS), 30 avril 2012
For further information, please contact Nicola Giovannini, email@example.com, tél : 02 548-39 15